BONNERS FERRY — On Saturday, Jan. 4, shortly after 8 p.m. North Bench Fire, with auto aid from South Boundary Fire and Paradise Valley Fire, responded to a call about a chimney fire on Westside Road.
“We arrived on scene and found that the chimney fire had extended into the roof space,” said North Bench Fire Chief Gus Jackson.
Jackson explained that it was a confined space fire, so crews worked to expose the fire so that it could be effectively extinguished.
“The fire started through a hole in the roof, which then burned inwards toward the house,” said Jackson, after an investigation on Sunday.
With chimney fire a potential hazard this time of year, Jackson said that many of them can be prevented.
“We would like to remind everyone to please have your chimneys cleaned and serviced annually to prevent accidental fires and to keep your home and occupants safe,” said Jackson. “Also make sure that your wood stove has proper distance around it and the stove pipe, and that they meet the manufacturer’s specifications and requirements.”
A further warning from Jackson concerned what people may consider a small chimney fire, that they feel they can take care of themselves. He recommends always taking action if a house has even a minor chimney fire.
“Any chimney fire has the potential to spread beyond the pipe and cause damage or loss to the property or home,” said Jackson.