BONNERS FERRY — On Tuesday morning, May 8, a fire took place on Jackson Street in Bonners Ferry, also igniting the large tree next to it. The fire drew a small crowd of concerned onlookers, as the Bonners Ferry Fire Department fought the extensively involved garage fire.
“I heard a lot of popping and cracking,” said Wendel Hiland, who was alerted to the nearby fire by the noise. “It was amazingly loud.”
Despite the flames climbing high up the tree and close proximity to other houses, the firefighters were able to get the fire under control in about 15 minutes. They spent most of the remaining day cleaning up all aspects of the fire, making sure that no part would rekindle and start the blaze again.
“They got it knocked down pretty quick,” said Hiland.
Bonners Ferry Fire Chief David Winey said the fire appears to be accidental, and they believe it may have been started by a faulty power tool charger or battery.